Happy New Year!

01.01.08
I know this blog doesn't look any different than my previous photography blog but I just wanted a separate one for this upcoming season.

On thursday Jan 3rd I will be headed to Kona Hawaii to participate in an intensive 3 month photography course. (For more information click here.)

This school is run through YWAM (Youth with a Mission) which is an interdenominational Christian missions organization that was started in the 60's with the desire to see young people sent to the nations as missionaries. You might have heard about YWAM in the news recently with the shooting in Colorado, I was at that base in 2004 doing a school of worship, I did not know anyone involved. Here is an article that talks about the shooting and the organization.

I've been looking into this school ever since I started with YWAM in 2003. They only accept 16 people a year. Even though tomorrow will be my last day here in the continental US it still doesn't quite feel like a reality.

Along with updating this blog (how frequent I don't know, that will be based on how much free time I have) I will be sending out monthly e-mail updates. If you'd like to get those you can send me an e-mail to ywamjim@yahoo.com with "subscribe" in the title.

I've also committed to doing one self portrait a day for 2008 (it's a flickr thing) you can follow that here.

Here's to an awesome 2008.
jim baker

p.s if you leave a comment please leave your first and last name so I know who you are!

Sunday, March 2, 2008

03.02.08 - Happy march...

yesterdays 365

Kitchen duty all weekend... its been pretty chill though.

Stanley Leary asked us when we started studio lighting what the next piece of equipment we would buy would be? I had just returned my 50 1.4 because I realized that there was no point in having a 60mm macro 2.8 and a 50 1.4 because they are way to close in focal length so i was going to buy the 28 1.8.

But he asked us if we wanted to know what one piece of equipment would start to set our work apart...

And he busted out his lighting kit.

So while we were on the around the island trip I ordered some new gear
and its sitting in the mail room waiting for me but the mail room is closed for the weekend...

So be looking for some new pics soon strobist style. :)

In the meanwhile...

Check out some of my nashville peeps photo blogs.
(Why is there a whole crew of us that went from music to photography?!)
Maybe photography pays better...

Hannah Elaine

and

Jesse Koska

adios,
jim baker

2 comments:

hannahelaine said...

hey dude, thanks for plugging me! i guess the deal is going to have to be altered now: whoever makes it in photography first, makes sure the other one makes it too :)

i have a $30 fish-eye adaptor that fits on my 18-55 kit lens. it's ghetto as all get out, but when you're doing edgy stuff, it makes it really cool. not really suited for wedding images, as its not quite sharp on the edges. my next purchase will prob be a 10-22, unless someone can suggest something better. gotta have a sharp wideangle for classier stuff, you know??

Jim Baker said...

hannah...

wow... you remember our deal... haha.

i'm down with altering it a bit. :)

The 10-22 is a bad - a lens... its on my camera most of the time.

pz
jim baker