Happy New Year!

01.01.08
I know this blog doesn't look any different than my previous photography blog but I just wanted a separate one for this upcoming season.

On thursday Jan 3rd I will be headed to Kona Hawaii to participate in an intensive 3 month photography course. (For more information click here.)

This school is run through YWAM (Youth with a Mission) which is an interdenominational Christian missions organization that was started in the 60's with the desire to see young people sent to the nations as missionaries. You might have heard about YWAM in the news recently with the shooting in Colorado, I was at that base in 2004 doing a school of worship, I did not know anyone involved. Here is an article that talks about the shooting and the organization.

I've been looking into this school ever since I started with YWAM in 2003. They only accept 16 people a year. Even though tomorrow will be my last day here in the continental US it still doesn't quite feel like a reality.

Along with updating this blog (how frequent I don't know, that will be based on how much free time I have) I will be sending out monthly e-mail updates. If you'd like to get those you can send me an e-mail to ywamjim@yahoo.com with "subscribe" in the title.

I've also committed to doing one self portrait a day for 2008 (it's a flickr thing) you can follow that here.

Here's to an awesome 2008.
jim baker

p.s if you leave a comment please leave your first and last name so I know who you are!

Saturday, February 16, 2008

02.16.08 - photostory

One of our assignments this week was to go shoot a photo story. All of my original ideas fell through so I just walked into town and found this story.

Jake (27) sits on a tree stump on Alii drive weaving coconut palm leaves into baskets and hats.

Jake helps a tourist try on a hat. "These can last anywhere from 40-60 years." He says.

"How long does each piece take?" I ask. Jake responds, "The bowls take anywhere from thirty to forty-five minutes and the hats about an hour, hour and a half."

"I've been weaving for about three and a half years, I learned up here on Alli drive by watching Dennis Cashell for two and a half weeks."

"Sales are a hit and miss, it's totally random, some of the people that buy are tourists but some locals buy too."

"Hats go for $15 and the baskets go for $10."

"A good artist always cleans up after himself." Jake says proudly as he takes his scraps to the trash and packs up for the day.

Enjoy,
Jim Baker

2 comments:

Pat Hatch said...

Hey, Jim! I really like your story. It gives me a feel for that guy's day. The only additional shot I would have liked to see would be one showing how he gathers the leaves. Are they ones that have fallen from the trees, or does he have to climb the trees to get them? (That would be an interesting shot!)
The randomness of his sales means that, in effect, he must live a life of faith, as well. I wonder if he realizes that?
I look forward to future photo stories the Lord will enable you to tell to touch hearts and minds for His kingdom.
Pat Hatch

said...

i LOVE the b&w. and the story